Follow @tinyrexwrecks

Friday 1 March 2024

Speech bubbles

My next book features one of my favourite things: speech bubbles. And my two main characters have their own designs.


I wanted both Watts and Pearl's speech to have straight edges to show they are logical and that they have something in common but I also wanted their speech to reflect their individual personalities.

Pearl is unpredictable, spontaneous and quite loud so her speech bubbles have sharp, oddly angled edges and are a bold colour.

Pearl


Watts is more considered, speaks softly and is a little unsure of himself so his have rounded edges and no colour.

Watts


I wanted readers to be able to easily tell who was speaking when they speak to one another, and on occasions when the characters are very small the speech bubbles help identify them. Like this...


Everyone else in the book uses the same soft pink bubble. To have too many variations would get visually busy.

This is Houndstooth the gardener.

Watts and Whiskerton: Buried Bones and Troublesome Treasure publishes on July 4th 2024 and you can pre-order it by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment